About Me

I am Kelly Jordan, a primary school teacher in the Geelong area. 2014 is my eleventh year of teaching and I have a grade four class this year.

I enjoy all aspects of teaching but I have developed a particular passion for Literacy. I endeavour to learn all I can about literacy education and I believe my students benefit from my explicit and innovative approach to teaching the foundations of reading, writing and oral language.

Integrating technology into my curriculum is another focus of my teaching. I am passionate about blogging and love using my class blog in my literacy block every day. My school has a 1:1 iPad program in grade four this year, and I thoroughly enjoy finding creative ways for students to use their devices to improve their learning.

13 comments for “About Me

1. Confused Mum
    December 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hi Kelly,
    I stumbled on your “persuasive” writing blog while searching for how to prepare my 2 kids for persuasive writing. What you are doing through this website is just great for confused people like me who haven’t gone through the education system in Australia and really struggling to understand how to teach at home. The examples on naplan website and other sites regarding the structure of a persuausive text contradicts what my daughter who is finsihing year 6 tell me – she insists that she has been told to give dictionary meanings of the words in topc in paragraph 2. For e.g if the topic is “should teachers be replaced by computers”, she went and gave meanings of teacher, replace and computer in the paragraph 2 – it totally broke the flow of the topic. Can you please give an outline of a structure of persuasive text – if you can refer any book, pdf doco, anything, so I can help my kids in the Xmas school holidays..
    many thanks in advance,
    poonam

2. anne
    December 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Hi confused mum
    One of the best things to do to help your 2 kids is through talking with them – help them to develop a point of view or an opinion about issues that interest them and encourage them to justify their comments – why they think that way. Have conversations where you encourage them to agree or disagree and think about what helps them make up their mind. Help them listen to and think about the opinion of others – but make all this talk purposeful and real for life – not NAPLAN preparation. Enjoy!

3. teachmrlimb
    February 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hi Ms Jordan
    Thank you very much for the comment we love to that you like our blog!
    Any way your blog is so long How many pages is it?
    I do hope all the kids listened because after we left we had a talk to one of the kids while we were heading back and he was getting the lunch orders he is very good at listening to us thanks any way
    Yours Morgan
    Remember be safe on the net!
    HA HA

4. Liz
    April 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Hi Kelly,
    On the night before Term 2 starts I am SSOOOO excited to have found your blog! I also teach in Victoria (Melbourne) and have been reading about the Daily 5 on the proteacher community for quite some time. Are you a member of proteacher? I love the simplicity of going back to what is important and spending my energy of catering to the students instead of making different literacy activities for each different rotation. I have yet to implement the Daily 5 in my Grade 1 classroom as I work in a Catholic school and we are under a program called ‘class’ where reading and writing are to be explicitly seperated, interesting who thought of that one! Your blog has inspired me to start to introduce parts of it into my teaching. One question – do you do a specific oral language activity as part of your literacy block? I know its not in the original Daily 5 plan.
    Thank you so much for the inspiration Kelly!
    Have a great start to Term 2 with your students.
    Liz

5. Christine
    May 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Your blog is fascinating. I am wondering if you are coming along to the National Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA) Conference in Melbourne 7 – 10 July 2011? http://www.alea2011.com

Regards,
    Christine

6. Jane
    May 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for such a practical and helpful website. Love the checklists and look forward to learning more.

7. Jennifer
    May 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

I was excited to find your blog, I have gone back to classroom teaching grade 3/4 after teaching reading recovery.
    I have been doing some research as not feeling happy with literacy program and love the daily five, individual reading idea. Love the way you are blogging and using Ipods. Giving me inspiration

8. September 29, 2011 at 12:35 am

Dear Kelly,

I was just reading your class blog and loved learning about your postcard project.

I am from the UK and am the founder of a new children’s website that develops their knowledge and understanding of the world, http://www.oddizzi.com. The site is really engaging, full of interactive features and above all fun to learning from!

On part of our site is a piece of functionality called ClassPals this enables classrooms to send virtual postcards to classroom all around the world. The beauty of this is that it doesn’t rely on time differences and is an simple activity that involves your children within a site that educates them about the world.

To view a demo of our site click here http://bit.ly/l4mWQC.

We have schools from around the world using our site who are keen to get in touch with schools in Australia therefore we are looking to donate a years subscription to the site to a couple of schools in Australia.

Please get in touch if you are interested.

9. October 30, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hi there,

I just discovered your blog after it being mentioned on one of my favourite blogs Langwitches. I haven’t had time to read much of it yet but I am putting it on my Reader to learn more.

I am starting individual blogs with my Year 4 students. I am excited about the process but also apprehensive about beginning this journey.

Keep up the great writing.

10. Emily
    March 2, 2012 at 8:21 am

I just came across your blog today as I was searching Daily 5 and CAFE information. I am an instructional coach in Iowa and I get excited when I find blogs like yours! I am definitely passing along your blog to all my teachers that I work with. You are posting some great information that they need to hear from other teachers and that you need to make Daily 5/CAFE work for your classroom. I signed up to receive emails when you post something new. I’ll be looking forward to reading them.
    Emily

11. Alana
    April 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi Kelly,

I am a student teacher currently studying a unit called ‘Living and Learning with Technology’ at Murdoch University. I have an assignment at the moment which requires my to find resources on how best to use technology in the classroom. I was wondering if I could have your permission to use your blog as one of my resources? It will be fully referenced (APA) so all credit will go to you.

Thank you
    Alana

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      April 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Hi Alana,

That is fine, no problem at all, thanks for asking. I hope you find my blog useful!

Good luck with your studies,

Kelly

12. princessr
    May 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Hi Miss Jordan,
    Wow! Never knew u had a blog.
    By the way really like your school photo.

Bye,
    Princess