Using my Class Blog in Literacy

Over the past couple of years, Kathleen Morris and I have presented at quite a few conferences and staff professional development sessions. One of the main topics we focus on is educational blogging and we often find ourselves saying that blogging is all about literacy.

Our class blog is a big part of our daily program. For that reason, I thought it was time to describe how we use blogging as a platform for our literacy teaching.

Blog header

We begin our two hour Literacy Block with a 20 minute blogging session. The structure we usually follow is:

Literacy Block structure 2

Check out the slideshow below to see how we integrate blogging into our Literacy Block every day

How do you use your blog in Literacy?

15 comments for “Using my Class Blog in Literacy

1. sgalvin
    September 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

@ Kelly,

This was really fascinating for me to read, having just finished my first term with a class blog!

Predominately I’ve used it as either a whole class focus or a whole class reflection tool. Having preps makes it a little bit more difficult for students to independently respond to comments left on our blog (I have a few who can manage it on their own), but we spend a lot of time composing replies together – talking about what makes a great comment, who are we addressing our reply to, can we answer questions/ask new questions/etc.

Throughout the term we’ve used it to post activities from our literacy rotations, but also to share events happening during the week, etc. In the last week of term a small group of students were able to write their own blog post (with support) to share a Storybird they made together.

If you don’t mind, I might share your post with my P-2 team next term in my effort to encourage more classes to join in blogging.

Thanks again for the post,
    Stef

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      September 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

@ Stef,

It sounds like you’re doing a fantastic job integrating blogging into your program with the Preps. I taught Prep for three years and just started blogging at the end of that time, so I understand that it is a little more challenging. It definitely seems like you’re doing a great job with it, and I’m sure the parents also love the blog for that home-school connection.

That scaffolding from a very early age really makes all the difference and I’m sure your Preps are building on their blogging skills every day!

Thanks for your ongoing support, it is terrific! :)

Best wishes,
      Kelly

2. September 27, 2011 at 9:51 am

Kelly,
    What a wonderful example of literacy. I love the way you model, share and guide the learning. The students are obviously engaged and can make connections between the reading and writing skills that they learn and the blogs.
    I hope you dont mind me sharing your post with the teachers at my school ( P- Year 3)next term
    Thanks for sharing

Rene

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      September 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

@ Rene,

You’re right, our students really are engaged during our blogging sessions. I just love the authentic learning that takes place every day! I also love the flexibility it offers…sometimes we have a planned focus, sometimes we’ll read a comment or a post, and we go off on a different tangent altogether! :)

Of course, I’d love you to share the post with your fellow teachers next term.

Happy holidays,
      Kelly

3. September 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Great resources you and Kath share here. What a terrific team you make:) I am going to pass this along to our lower school teachers. Thanks

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      September 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

@ Susan,

Thanks a lot for your comment and your support! :)

Best wishes,
      Kelly

4. Ava
    October 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

Dear Miss Jordan,

I love your blog.

You are a great teacher.

Kind Regards,
    Ava

5. Zoe
    October 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Hi Kelly,

I’m currently a pre-graduate primary school teacher and have found your blog so helpful. I particularly like the way you integrate blogging and literacy together, and the way you have explained it so other teachers can replicate your teaching strategies. You’ve given me some great ideas to use on prac!

Zoe

6. Lena Akersten
    November 1, 2011 at 2:52 am

What a nice blog you have! Maybe your pupils would like to get in touch with us:

Please, join the conversation with 10 year old pupils from the north of Sweden!
    They want to learn english and find out more about different cultures by communicating with people around the world! Please leave a comment on their web site:

http://www.ersmark4.se

7. Georgia
    November 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Dear Miss Jordan,

i like your blog it is nice.

I have never been on this blog so here I go!!!
    Hahaha

How do you know alot of stuff about blogging?

You are a nice teacher.

Best wishes,
    Georgia