Most of my students are currently involved in the two week school swimming program. As is always the case, there are some students not particpating, so Kathleen Morris and I alternate between taking the swimmers and supervising the “non-swimmers”.

Traditionally, we complete a variety of “fill in” activities during this time with the non-swimmers, as there is no point running regular Literacy and Numeracy sessions when most students are at the pool. However, this time we decided we’d focus on teaching the students some new ICT skills and how to use a several web 2.0 tools.

Last week I introduced the students to GlogsterGlogster is an online tool that allows you to make free interactive posters, or “glogs”. The word glog is short for graphical blog. We signed up for a teacher account and then made individual accounts for the students within ours.

Glogster logo 2

You can add text, images, photos, audio, video and special effects to create a glog, and finished glogs can be embedded into blogs so you can share them with everyone. Needless to say, the students loved it and were so engaged, many students even went home and produced glogs on their own.  Here’s a couple of examples of my Grade 2 student glogs:

This lesson got me thinking, how could Glogster be used for future Literacy lessons? Students could make glogs for…

- Start of the year “All About Me” projects

- Classroom rules

- Different reading strategies

- Book responses/book reviews

- Their school holidays

- Word/spelling lists

- Cyber safety posters

- “How to write a quality blog comment” poster

- Guided Reading responses

- Passion Projects

- Character profiles 

- Personal goal setting

The possibilities are endless and extend only as far as your imagination!

Have you used Glogster with your students before?

How else could Glogster be used in Literacy?