For the Love of Reading

I thought I’d share a quick idea I used in my classroom this week to help promote a love of reading.

independent reading

Reading is a part of every classroom in every school. Some students love it, while it seems others simply read because we tell them to! To help students feel motivated to read, I have them selecting their own “good fit” books which I blogged about here.

I am passionate about instilling a love of reading into my students. My Literacy Block features reading books, blogs, listening to stories on iPods, reading with the teacher, reading to friends, retelling stories to our class mascot Leo, reading plays, recording interesting words in texts and more.

I talk about how much I love reading, and I often have my students give verbal retells of books they are reading. To promote reading, we made a VoiceThread this week and published it on our class blog. Several students were asked to give a brief summary of their current “good fit” book to record on the VoiceThread. The students loved hearing themselves and we have received a number of comments on the blog post from students, parents and teachers. It also generated a good discussion in the classroom, about what books are popular, which series’ the students are enjoying and what books the children have at home.

It has been wonderful that other teachers and students from around the world have added comments to the VoiceThread too! Check it out below.

How do you help students develop a love of reading?

10 comments for “For the Love of Reading

1. Aimee
    May 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hi Kelly,

I love this idea! Your children really seem to be developing a love of reading. I have recently started a blog with my class and have been trying to think of a great way to use voice thread in reading. Would you mind if I did a similar thing with my class? I think they would love to share the books they are reading too! We could look at how your class did it and I think it would be a great opportunity for them to learn from other students.

Aimee

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      May 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm

@ Aimee,

Thanks for the feebdack! The students enjoyed doing it and I think they did a very good job (especially because we were having technical difficulties and they didn’t really get a chance to practise their little spiels!) Many students find it difficult to succinctly summarise a book, so it’s a worthwhile activity. VoiceThread is a fantastic tool!

You are more than welcome to do a similar thing with your class, let me know how it goes! :)

Kelly

2. May 16, 2011 at 9:42 am

Dear Kelly,
    Love your post here and on your class blog.
    We do a lot of the same activities as you in our Language Arts periods. We “read to self”, listen to stories on the ipod, or cd player. Some of the stories I have recorded myself. Right now we are working on Little Red Hen and will do a Reader’s Theater. I am also passionate about kids developing a love of reading. I talk about “good fit” books, too. We made a voicethread last week. We read the book I mentioned in my comment – The Book Eating Boy. Maybe some of your kids would like to comment on the kinds of books they like to read.
    http://teacher102.edublogs.org/2011/05/12/the-incredible-book-eating-boy/
    Mrs. Lynch in Quebec
    Grade 1

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      May 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm

It sounds like we share many of the same thoughts, values and philosophies about Literacy education. I always loved reading and writing when I was at primary school and that passion has continued!

Voicethread is a great tool, I must use it more! Thanks for sharing your post, I will check it out! :)

Kelly

3. Keira
    May 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hi Miss Jordan,

I realy like this post because it is on our blog I realy like the video because those kids were good as :!:

Love from
    Keira. :mrgreen:

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      May 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

@ Keira,

Thanks for visiting my blog, Keira! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. Keep up the great work!

Miss Jordan

• Keira ♥♥♥
        June 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

To Dear Miss Jordan,

That’s ok for visiting your blog!

You keep up the great work!

Love from,
        Keira.

4. Kayla ♥♥♥
    May 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hi Miss Jordan,

This is a great post, and by looking at
    Keira’s comment is looks like I have
    the same things to say. :)

I have been looking at all
    the posts you have put
    on your blog, they all are
    so great. :)

Happy Blogging,
    Kayla ♥

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      May 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

@ Kayla,

Wow, another 2KJ student leaving a comment. Thanks for checking out my blog!

Miss Jordan

• Kayla
        May 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Dear Miss Jordan, :)

Thankyou for replying to me.

I want to know how to be
        a great blogger?
        Do you go home
        every night and do
        you sometimes go
        and write quality comments :?:
        (do you get what I am saying?)
        Kayla :)