Schools in Victoria, Australia begin their holidays next week. It’s been a ten week term for us and although it has gone very quickly, I feel I achieved a lot with my students. I thought I would take this opportunity to reflect on the teaching and learning that has happened so far this year.

Highlights of Term One

1. Setting up the Daily 5 - I have really enjoyed researching and refining my Literacy Block this term. Modifying the Daily 5 program is going really well in my classroom, and I look forward to continuing the journey. The most exciting aspect of the Literacy Block is feeling like I can really target my students’ needs.

2. Blogging with my students - I have been blogging with students for the past few years and this year Kathleen Morris (my teaching partner) and I have a combined class blog. It has been wonderful seeing the students’ enthusiasm grow and their commenting skills improve over the past few weeks.

3. Assigning reading goals for my students - Setting up and displaying my students’ reading goals on the CAFE board has been great for reminding the students what they need to focus on. Hearing my students discuss their goals and reading strategies has been excellent!

4. Having a class mascot - The 2KM and 2KJ class mascot, Leo the lion, is a very popular member of our class!

5. Communication with parents - Sending out fortnightly newsletters to parents has been popular with the parents and the feedback is very positive. We also had a Family Blogging Afternoon where students invited a family member along to teach them about blogging.

6. Learning and sharing with my PLN on Twitter - I love learning from others and sharing my thoughts and ideas with my PLN. Follow me @kellyjordan82

7. Team teaching - I team teach with Kathleen Morris and our Grade Two classes do everything together. Kathleen and I have very similar educational philosophies and shared beliefs about teaching and learning, so we work extremely well together. We are always bouncing ideas off each other and reflecting on best practice, so our teaching is enrichened by working together.

8. Making the teaching and learning so purposeful - Every time we sit down to plan, Kathleen and I always ask ourselves “is this meaningful?” or “what will our students gain from this?”. Our teaching practice is very explicit and we are always trying to move our students along with their learning, while providing a safe and fun learning environment.

9. The Flat Stanley Project - We did this project with Judy McKenzie and her class B4 in New Zealand. Read about it on my class blog here.

10. Having a student teacher - It has been great having two student teachers this term. Passing on my knowledge, showing them how to integrate technology into the curriculm and learning from them has been most rewarding.

literacy post 1

Things I will focus on in Term Two

1. Refining my Daily 5 Literacy Block - I will continue to reflect on how the Daily 5 is going and how I can tweak things to improve student learning. Conducting individual conferences and strategy groups will be a focus.

2. Introducing Words Their Way into my Literacy program - I look forward to seeing how this program can improve my students’ phonemic awareness and spelling skills. I plan to introduce the word sorts as a whole class initially, and then students will work at their specific spelling stage using the word sorts during Word Work in the Literacy Block.

3. Keep on Learning! - I am looking forward to attending the Google Teacher Academy in Sydney during the holidays, it should be great! I also hope to inspire others to blog with their students when I present at the ICTEV and DEECD Innovations Showcase conferences with Kathleen.

What has been your teaching and learning highlight so far this year?

What goals are you setting for yourself for next term?