My Literacy Block – Modifying the Daily 5

After hearing a lot about the Daily 5 last year, Kathleen Morris and I purchased the two books, The Daily 5 and The CAFE Book, by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. Better known as “The Sisters“, they have developed a literacy structure that aims to build reading stamina, foster independence and develop a love of reading in students.

There are many online forums and websites dedicated to providing you with information about the Daily 5 and CAFE, so I won’t go into too many of the details here. Rather, I’d like to share how I have decided to use and modify the program to suit my Grade Two class.

The Daily 5 consists of five key elements: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Listen to Reading, Work on Writing and Word Work. Each of these foundations are introduced and students work at building stamina, by practising each skill over a period of time, until they become independent.

After completing start of the year assessments with each child, Kathleen and I (we team teach) sat down to plan exactly how we would structure our Literacy Block this year. We had to consider the following things:

1. It was already approaching week 6 and we felt we really had to get started on teaching literacy, rather than assessing.

2. Our students have already had quite a bit of practise at “listening to reading” as they’ve been listening to stories on the iPod touch for several weeks.

3. We only have two hours to complete both reading and writing each day.

4. We have integration aides to support students during our Literacy Block.

5. We want to incorporate computers into our Literacy Block.

6. We want to include our class blog into our Literacy Block structure.

7. We had already started “Read to Self” but we were calling it “Independent Reading”.

8. As we are not doing traditional Guided Reading, we can have mixed ability reading groups.

Based on these thoughts we developed the following structure.

Literacy Block structure

During Reading Groups, students complete one activity per day. We have used some Daily 5 components and modified others to suit our needs at this stage. We have the following activities each week:

1. Listen to Someone – Students listen to a story on the iPod touch. They have scrapbooks to draw pictures of the story as they listen.

2. Read to Someone – Students pair up and sit EEKK (elbow to elbow, knee to knee) and read to each other.

3. Work on Writing – We are using the computers for this element, as we want to involve technology into our Literacy Block. Students are required to go onto our class blog or one of our blogging buddies’ blogs and write a comment, following our guidelines for writing quality blog comments.

4. Word Work – Students practise their spelling words in a “fun way”, eg. rainbow writing, triangle words, using magnetic letters, writing on mini whiteboards etc.

5. The last activity is interchangable and will be planned according to our students’ needs. It may be a word game, an activity about comprehension, punctuation, specific blends or word families etc.

Last week we set goals for each student, using the CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expand Vocabulary) model. We have set up our CAFE board and displayed the student goals.

P1020881

P1020882

** Last week we covered the “Check for Understanding” strategy and that card is now displayed on our board.**

We will begin our individual conferences this week and we are looking forward to working with our students to help them work towards their goals.

Considerations for us to think about:

1. How will we include the Words Their Way word sorts into our program? This will most likely occur during Word Work, perhaps alternating with the students M100W words (high frequency words) each week.

2. Are we doing enough writing each day? We are used to spending an hour or so on writing, so we will determine whether the alloted 35 minutes is meeting our students’ needs.

3. Are the students consistently choosing “good fit” books to read during Independent Reading?

I want to reinforce that we are in the beginning stages of our revised Literacy Block, so we may change things as we learn more. The focus is ensuring we are meeting the needs of our students and helping them to work towards reaching their goals.

Next post – Individual conferences during our Literacy Block.

What are your thoughts on our Literacy Block?

How have you modified the Daily 5 to suit your needs?

40 comments for “My Literacy Block – Modifying the Daily 5

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris
    March 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm

@ Kelly,

Great post summarising our new new structure. It’s important that you noted it is a work in process. We very well may change along the way to meet our student needs better.

I think the Daily5 model is great but our biggest obstacles (as you mentioned) are time and our desire to integrate technology.

I think it is interesting that you and I used to both think that traditional Guided Reading was non-negotiable. Now when we think about it, how was Guided Reading really meeting our students’ individual needs? They may have been at the same level but their reading strategies could have been totally different.

I think our plan of familiarising ourselves and students with the individual reading conferences before moving into strategy groups will work out well.

Personally, I don’t think lack of writing is an issue at all. We do so much blogging and we have both seen the wonderful improvements with writing that our students have demonstrated in the past. Writing doesn’t always have to be paper and pencil.

I agree about the “good fit” books concern. I think when we’re seeing each student regularly in their conferences we’ll be able to monitor that better. We”ll need to constantly reinforce what a “good fit” book means for a while I think.

Looking forward to your next post!
    Kathleen

2. Miss Kelly Jordan
    March 14, 2011 at 4:16 pm

@ Kathleen,

We got off to a great start last week and I heard a few kids expressing their happiness when they looked at the “our day” schedule and saw that “Literacy Block” was listed for our morning session.

I think having (mostly) the same activities in our Reading Groups each week will help develop the routine very quickly and the kids are already very aware of our expectations.

It is interesting to reflect on our careers so far and acknowledge that Guided Reading was always just the done thing and, as you said, non-negotiable. I’m looking forward to seeing how our individual conferences will help the students reach their reading goals.

You’re probably right about your writing statements. Quality over quantity afterall!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Kelly

3. 3DD
    March 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hi Kelly,

There’s lots to think about, but for what it’s worth I have a couple of thoughts. I’m sure that you won’t be surprised to hear that I agree – the “Words Their Way” approach is definitely worth considering.
    I think that word sorts are a great tool because they require students to really think about words. They need to look carefully, categorise, and justify choices. Word meanings are discussed and generalisations are discovered. The spelling inventories mean that students are working at their stage of development. The actual wordsorts suit different learning styles- visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners are all catered for. The best part is it only takes a short time each day.
    I’ll be interested to hear how you go without guided reading. I still feel that it’s very important, because that’s when the focussed teaching is taking place. Groups were always intended to be fluid and based upon a common need. As I’m sure you agree, when learning to read, students need to be matched to text carefully so that they are presented with some challenge without too much frustration (as you say – a good fit). It will be wonderful if you are able to ensure that your students are reading books that are just right for them. I agree also that individual conferences will be very powerful, especially when you know where they are, and what they need to know and do, in order to improve.
    I really believe that the most important aspect of good teaching is knowing your students needs, and having the really deep knowledge to move them on. If we know the purpose we’re probably doing ok.
    There’s lots more to think and talk about, but we can leave that for another day.
    As you can imagine, I’m pleased to see you and Kathleen putting so much thought and research into teaching literacy,

Deb

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      March 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm

@ Deb,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughs. I was keen to hear what you thought, given your expertise in literacy! :)

I defintely agree, Words Their Way is a great way to really identify strengths and pinpoint weaknesses with our students’ spelling abilities. Kathleen and I would have loved to already be including it into our Literacy Block, but with all the new things we are introducing, we felt it was best to establish our structure and then begin the word sorts in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to seeing how the students’ skills develop throughout the year once we begin the word sorts. Having all of our students working at their own stage of development will be fantastic.

I agree that having Guided Reading groups works because the teacher can select texts suited to students’ reading levels, but I am looking forward to working with students individually. Within a Guided Reading group you may have students who work at the same reading level but have different learning needs and goals. The CAFE structure does allow for strategy groups, where small groups of students are grouped because they need to work on the same reading strategy, rather than the same level book. Once a teacher conducts individual conferences, they can then identify students who may benefit from working in a strategy group. I think this is a more powerful way of teaching, as you are really targeting specific reading skills (either comprehension, accuracy, fluency or expanding vocabulary) that are relevant for every student in that group.

I could probably keep going, but I’ll leave it there for now! :)

Thanks again for your comment!

Kelly

4. 3DD
    March 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

It sounds to me that “strategy groups” are exactly what guided reading groups should be! Fantastic!

Deb

5. March 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Dear Kelly
    I read your post with interest, as it helped clarify some of my feelings about my Literacy time.

As you know, I have started the year using the Daily 5 structure and the CAFE strategies, and am pleased with it although it needed refining, as I was missing some of the elements that I enjoy in my program, including the computer time.

I thought your idea of the group rotation, covering one of the aspects per day, would work in my class, and gives time over the week to do things well although I have kept Read to Someone as a closing session with everyone involved.

Our rotation includes Work on Writing (blog and wiki), Listen to Reading, Work on Words and Spelling, and Weekly Poem, and will happen over four days.

I will give the children some choice soon by letting them choose which day they will complete an activity on, with a limit of five children on an activity per day.

Guided reading is also the ‘thing’ to do here, but having up to 8 groups in my class last year to meet individual needs meant I was looking for a better way to help the children progress.

Thank you for sharing ideas!
    regards
    Judy McKenzie

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      March 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm

@ Judy,

Thanks for your insightful comment. It is great to hear from someone who is already successfully implementing the Daily 5 in their classroom.

Like you, we felt that we had to modify things to suit our class, timeframes and priorities (eg. computers). It has started well, but Kathleen and I will keep reflecting and refining our program if necessary.

Yes, people may not like to hear that traditional Guided Reading isn’t part of the program. However, the work of The Sisters makes so much sense with individual conferences and strategy groups really targeting students’ needs more effectively.

Thanks and I look forward to continuing to learn with and from you,

Kelly

6. Mrs Murphy
    March 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Hi Kelly,

Great post, and I am so intrigued by the CAFE idea. A friend of mine saw it on her rounds and was blown away by the method. I have to say since seeing Australian schools, the whole “Big Book” and “Guided Reading” thing just never seemed natural to me. I could never get into it in the classroom no matter how hard I tried it seemed a bit contrived. (Not saying the Irish way is any better as we still have all the kids reading from the one reader in unison… long way to go there!!) Anyways… I digress!

I must come in on one of my days off and check out what you and Kathleen are up to. I love the idea of the strategy groups, makes so much sense. Too bad I am working Paddy’s day, we could have set up a Skype to Ireland!!! And yes I need to buy those books too, not that it will help in LOTE this year, but I am sure it will next year.

I love that ye are also introducing the technology slant on things. Please keep posting about how it is going!
    Aine

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      March 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

@ Aine,

Thanks for your great comment! Kathleen and I heard a lot about the Daily 5 from teachers overseas last year, I hadn’t really heard much about it in Australia. But it seems now that whenever it comes up, people have heard about it!

The idea of teaching the reading strategies so explicitly and having specific student goals really appeals to me. Having the goals displayed in the classroom is also very meaningful.

Involving technology was very important to us, so I’m glad the Daily 5 structure is so versatile!

I will keep posting about it! :)

Kelly

7. Aviva @grade1
    March 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I loved your post! I also make some changes to the Daily 5 to work with the needs of my students and to create some higher level activities too. My Listening to Reading and Writing Centre are very similar to yours, although sometimes I have the students do different follow-up activities: not just visualizing. With Read to Self, the students read on their own, but then complete different activities, often using the Luvescribe Pen, to reflect on decoding or comprehension strategies. See http://livewithlivescribe.edublogs.org for more information. Buddy Reading often changes slightly each week. Sometimes the students read as you described, sometimes they use the iPad to read with a buddy and record their reading and thinking, and sometimes a Literature Circle is used for this centre. Word Work is what I change the most. It’s usually my Smart Board Centre, and the children work with words, but in a writing way too. They often write group blog posts using these words, create glogs using these words, and have even tweeted from our class Twitter accounts using these words. Content area spelling (and words) often make it into this activity too. With a 1/2 split, this helps a lot. I’ve also added in a sixth group, my Guided Reading group, that I pull as part of this rotation. Hope this helps! I really enjoy reading about what others do too!

Aviva

8. Fairlie
    March 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hey Kelly (and Kathleen),

This caught my eye (via Twitter) as I have been using Daily 5 and CAFE since about this time last year. I started implementing it just after NAPLAN as I noticed that our kids had really lost their enthusiasm and interest for reading and literature, and I was never really happy with Guided Reading (it wasn’t giving me the opportunity to assist all needs in my grade). Actually, I really didn’t like Guided Reading at all, and think it was contributing to what was happening in the grades. When I explained to the kids that we were changing the way we structured our reading classes, there was almost a collective sigh of relief – the main reason – they didn’t like that we were choosing and deciding what they read) My teaching partner and I decided that we would teach to our strengths so he taught maths and I took on reading for my grade 3/4 and his grade 4/5. Daily 5 and CAFE gave the children the opportunity to take some ownership and responsibility for their reading. It also provided me with the chance to scaffold students individually and make sure they were focusing on strategies important to their learning.
    We started off with finding Good Fit books as many of the lower readers were choosing books just so they were like their classmates rather than choosing books they could actually read and enjoy. Each day while others were competing some Word Work or Read to Self, I would take a group over to the bookshelf and we would look at the books that were available, (I had sorted out the classroom library into theme boxes/book series boxes), and chose Good Fit books. We then looked at the CAFE menu and each student chose a strategy to work with, most from the Comprehension menu. I had a proforma that I used to record that strategy, and any notes relating to the discussions with the child during their individual conferences.
    So my current structure (for grade 5 and grade 6) is that I have a group a day that is the “Conference Group” – they read a chapter of their book (or read for at least 15-20mins), then complete a reading activity card using their book as a base. I call them out to conference during this time for about 5 mins. The other students are working on word activities, comprehension activities, shared book activities, newspaper activities etc, involving ICT where possible.
    They really seem to be enjoying this. I involve them in any book purchases and try to accommodate requests for books (we search for them on ebay together). It has even helped to engage non-readers (one is now reading choose your own adventure books we found on Ebay – he was very grateful).
    I too had the same reservations regarding time and so forth, but with a bit of tweaking, it can fit into our timetables, and it is an effective way of teaching literacy.
    Will be interesting to see how your journey evolves!!!!!! (apologies for the novel – I haven’t found anyone else doing these!)

Fairlie

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      March 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

@ Fairlie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and interesting comment! :)

It is great to hear from someone who is using the Daily 5 and CAFE with oolder students. Most of the conversations I’ve had (mostly online!) with teachers who are using the program teach Prep-Grade 4, so it’s excellent to hear your insights.

I really like how you have extended the “good fit” model by actually involving your students into the book buying process. This must make them really excited about the books that are used in your classroom and it’s giving them a lot of ownership, which is fantastic.

Having older children would also make the goal setting process easier, because by that age the students have more of an idea of their strengths/weaknesses. You can have more in-depth discussions about their goals, rather than you just setting the goals for the students.

I also like your idea of having a “conference group”, so they know they’ll be pulled out to conference with you during the session. It is also good in an organisational sense, because you know exactly who to confer with each day.

Don’t apologise for the novel, I love hearing about how other people are using Daily 5 and CAFE! :)

Kelly

9. Miss Kelly Jordan
    March 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

@ Aviva,

Wow, it sounds like you run a fantastic Literacy Block in your classroom! I am particularly jealous that you have iPads to use, I wish we had them! Your use of Twitter in the classroom is also fantastic. Kathleen and I would love to venture “outside the square” and offer some of these things to our students but it’s difficult when things are blocked at our school!

You’ve got lots of great ideas and I’d love to learn more from you. Your Literacy Block sounds so productive and meaningful.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and ideas, much appreciated!

Kelly

10. March 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Hi Kelly,
    I read your post and all the comments with interest. I have had a great experience with Daily 5 this year and we are nearing the last term for our school year. I have used the Guided Reading format for most of my teaching career, and I do find it creeps back into my teaching every once in a while. I love that The Sisters are about making their program work for you.
    I teach Grade 1 and when I started I was worried about the lack of direct teaching that has happened in my room this year. I have also given up the leveled reading groups, however I think that it is interesting that my more skilled readers need different strategies than less skilled ones. Although it is refreshing to have a variety of readers in my small groups, I believe it has made a big difference for my midlevel kids. I still have kids that are struggling, but all my kids are able to be included in the groups.
    I will be trying again next year and refining things. I am also experimenting with how to use evernote and my ipad (alas I have only one that I personally had to purchase) instead of the pensive. I also like the idea of using my IWB for the word work, while I have used the computer I hadn’t really thought to use it, thank you for the idea. I hope that you continue to share your experiences because we are all learning so much from each other.
    Take care,
    Sarah

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      March 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@ Sarah,

I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s comments on this post, the Daily 5 is a bit of a hot topic at the moment!

I am also a fan of focussing on strategies rather than reading levels, it is more meaningful and important for the students. Having specific goals for each student is working really well, it’s making my teaching during individual conferences really solid and purposeful.

You brought up a good point, it’s essential that we keep refining our best practise and changing things as our students’ needs change. This is particularly important in the beginning stages of implementing the program, although you have more experience with it!

Good work purchasing an iPad, I haven’t done that yet but it may happen later in the year!

Thanks for you insights,

Kelly

11. March 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Dear Kelly,
    I enjoyed reading your post about the Daily 5 because it was interesting to me to see how the Daily 5 has evolved. I learned about the Daily 5 from classes with Margaret Mooney when she did a lot of inservice training in Washington in the 90′s and early 2000+. It has moved from New Zealand to Washington to Australia! I am a librarian now, but then I taught 1st grade and her system really worked. Eventually I moved to a slightly different system based on Fountas and Pinnell’s group rotation. My absolute favorite book was What Are the Other Kids Doing While You Teach Small Groups? by Donna Marriott. There are 3 teacher at my school who are still using this book! She had lots of fabulous ideas for meaningful kid literacy tasks.
    The literacy block system can work! I used it for years and had a huge notebook with all of my individual tabs for each student and their reading. They had book bags with “just right” books. When they thought they were ready to advance, we would conference and I would take notes in my notebook. Sometimes it might seem burdensome, but stick with it and you will make it work for you and your style.
    Julie

12. lenny
    May 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Hello Miss jordan and 2km & 2kj,
    I’m anthony’s father and I think the literacy block seems like a great way for the kids to learn.. Also incorporating new technology within their learning activities is a fun way for them to learn and keeps them interested in what there doing. Being able to read other peoples blog allows to read a wider range of words that aren’t necessary in the books they read.
    Well how ever you feel it must be a good way because my son is always excited to go to school !

All the best

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      May 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Dear Lenny,

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! I don’t think I’ve had a parent comment on my Literacy blog before, so I appreciate it! :)

I am really enjoying the Literacy Block we do in our class this year, and the students also love the two hour session. I am very glad to hear that Anthony is excited about coming to school!

Thanks again,
      Kelly

13. June 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

All I can say is WOW! I have been looking at the Daily 5 stuff for a month now but couldn’t find great blogs of people using it and thoroughly sharing their thinking and modifications. Your blog has been an amazing read! I have a HUGE spread of reading levels and am struggling to fit in the teaching/reading groups like I want to. Not only this I just feel like it’s not happening in the way that I want to – so many different needs and I love the idea of the Daily 5 but also struggle with time limits. I just want to say a huge thank you for sharing your journey and developments. I will continue to read and be involved in the conversations as I hopefully make some amazing changes to my literacy program inspired but you and your journey. Thanks, Amanda

14. June 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hi there,
    As a final year student teacher, it’s been great to hear about different strategies to approach literacy. In my limited experience so far, I have also found that students seem to dread guided reading. I would love to use the Daily 5 method in the future. Are there any other sites you can recommend for this literacy approach? I’m also interested in the site you use to download stories for the iPod Touch. I’m planning on introducing this in my final prac so any links you have would be amazing. Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Mick Sweeney
    July 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hi Kelly,

To echo the comments of others on here already, thank you for such an insightful blog post and providing a place for such a large and detailed discussion! I have enjoyed reading every single comment.
    Like Miss Doig I’m in my final year of my Primary degree and learning more about the Daily5 has been great.

I recently sat in on the #Daily5 chat via elluminate which was fantastic!

A wiki has just recently been set up: http://daily5cafechat.wikispaces.com/

This is a link to a google doc on the recent daily5 chat: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EQHZeMoObN-3YsQ0cofX5EKvG6uLjvj8F0laSUngCxc/edit?authkey=CLrG8KgO&hl=en_GB

This link is to another google doc on the Daily5 chat, which is helping to set a weekly time for a twitter chat and discussion topics on the Daily5:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tRA6ZHYlc_1SbZ-lwHS9UZjeqpKbHVRDP-aE-ztzQDU/edit?hl=en_

Hope those links work!

Thanks again Kelly, this blog and its archive is always one of my first points of call for my literacy questions and thoughts

@Mick_15_

16. Amy
    July 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks so much for this post, it’s excellent! I also follow you on twitter and you have been a wealth of information as I attempt to incorporate aspects of the daily 5, and greater technology into my literacy block this term (I teach year 3).

I’m just wondering, are your literacy groups still ability based, or mixed ability, now that you have individual conferencing? How does this work with the ‘read to a partner’ rotation?

I look forward to reading your coming posts!
    Amy

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      July 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm

@ Amy,

Thanks for your comment! I think you may be a little confused. I’m Kelly, I team teach with Kathleen Morris and we both have our own blogs, as well as our joint class blog. Easy mistake to make!

We do now have ability groups in Reading. We alternate between individual conferences and Guided Reading/Strategy Groups each week, so we found it was easier to stream the students for organisational purposes. We don’t have any problems with “Read to Someone”, as even our weakest readers are still proficient enough to read with their partner.

I also follow you on Twitter, and I like the look of your class blog. I was just checking it out last night actually! :)

Thanks for your support!

Kelly

• Amy
        July 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sorry Kelly, I have both yours and Kathleen’s blog bookmarked and I must have switched between the two before I commented!

Thank you for your reply, I can’t wait to start putting all these great concepts into practice and am now one step closer :)

Great to hear we had a visitor to our blog. I hope that as we post more on there you’ll check us out again.

Thanks again,
        Amy

17. July 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Kelly,
    I bought The sisters books about 3 years ago when I had a grade 4 and started implementing parts of their program into my literacy block over the next 2 years. Noone else knew anything about the sisters so I was on my own and muddled through making small changes along the way. My biggest hurdle has been the Early Years Literacy model incorporating guided reading! Last year I moved to a new school who have this model locked in tight and we HAVE to do reading this way. But I still put up my cafe menu and I implememented individual reading conferences with my grade 2′s. (we did read to self all together with our own special spots & I would conference kids then) I had a much better idea of how my students were going and could explicitly teach them the skills they needed on the spot. Using the CAFE menu and having the kids think about the strategies they were using and placing their names up on the cafe board meant they clearly had a focus for their reading. I have grade 1 this year and have my Guided reading group(as I must) but I have read to self, word work (with a spelling/ grammer focus), listen to reading (using either tapes/CD or computers) and writing. Unfortunatley and much to my distress I have no IWB (grade 1 are the last level in the school to get one. next year we’ll have them so roll on 2012!!). I have started a blog this term and we will start blogging as best we can on the computers and borrowing another classes IWB to do the odd project.
    I’ve been rambling a bit but when I found your site over the holidays and saw that other Aussie teachers were implementing Daily 5 I was ecstatic!! Am off now to check out
    Micks sites. Thanks Mike and thanks Kelly & Kathleen.
    Cheryl

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      July 31, 2011 at 9:38 am

@ Cheryl,

Nice to hear from you and I love your enthusiasm! It sounds like you’re doing lots of great things in your classroom and I’m sure your Grade 1 students are benefiting from your CAFE program. I also find the explicit teaching of specific reading strategies a real highlight of CAFE and the students are understanding their strengths and weaknesses a lot more now.

I hope you get your IWB, I would struggle to teach without mine! Good luck with your new blog too.

Kelly

18. November 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

This is my first year using CAFE/Daily 5 and I have to say my class and I are loving it! I still am not sure how long to spend on a specific CAFE strategy. Thinking long term and understanding that I will revisit certain strategies what will it realistically look like in my plans next semester with the strategies on the CAFE Menu?
    Thanks so much!

19. Cherry
    November 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’m a first year teacher and have been doing the Daily 5 with my Grade 1s since the start of term 2, as I was finding the guided reading sessions just weren’t working for me. I love the daily 5, but have been thinking about ways of ‘tweaking’ it to be more suited for our timetable and student needs… I love the format you use and may have to adapt that for next year! I just wish I had an IWB to incorporate the blogging into things more easily- it’s a struggle at the moment!

I too would like to know if there is a site to download the stories for listen to reading from… The only ones i have found are not so great, and audio books are expensive!!

20. Sarah Henderson
    February 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Hi there Kelly,
    I have been following your blogs and learning more and more about integrating technology into my classroom. The only hurdle at the moment (for starting a class blog), is my principal who is very hesitant about the security of the internet (a little frustrating). I am a teacher in a small town in the Northern Territory. This year I teach year 3/4, which is my first multi-grade class ( I have been teaching for 3 years). I am very interested to read about the above post – your literacy block. Is there any more information that you could give me? Maybe for you to explain how it is working in your year 4 class this year? IS it something that the whole school has adopted, or just you and your teaching partner? I am getting my head around planning with the AC this year, and honestly, have always struggled with my literacy planning. Any help from you would be fantastic. My email address is sarah.henderson@ntschools.net
    Thanks for your wealth of information! Keep it coming!
    Look forward to hearing from you
    Sarah

21. Mrs Murphy
    February 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Kelly for sharing all your strategies. I am beginning on Monday with the CAFE and it is great to see how you have implemented technology into it.

Thanks again,
    Áine

22. Meaghan
    April 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

Dear Kelly,
    I teach Year 1 and my teaching partner & I are just starting along our Daily 5 journey. We have read the 2 books by the sisters and feel very inspired and enthusiastic. Sometimes our timetable can be very disrupted with specialists and we feel that this structure will be flexible enough to allow for this.
    I particularly love the “building stamina and independence” aspect of this framework. How have you found this working for you in your class? How have you been able to apply the Daily 5 to Year 4?
    Yours,
    Meaghaan

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      April 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hi Meaghann,

I’m sure you’re looking forward to implementing the Daily 5. I know that I was so keen to get started once I’d read the Daily 5 and CAFE books!

My Grade Four students just love independent reading. They enjoy choosing their own books and they are thoroughly engaged during our reading sessions. If you check out my latest post titled “My Literacy Block in 2012″, that will give you an overview of how I’m running my literacy lessons this year.

Thanks for your comment,

Kelly

• Meaghan
        December 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Dear Kelly,
        Introducing Daily 5 was one of the highlights of my teaching this year. The enthusiasm shown by my Year 1 students was infectious. I have never before had students “whoop” for joy when I have announced that it is literacy time. I think the fact that they felt a real sense of achievement by being able to work independently and also that they had choice, some say in what they did and when. The choice aspect was also a real watershed moment for me in my teaching. I love to have control, so this was interesting and showed me how powerful a motivator having a say in what they do is for their learning.
        :) Meaghan

23. Debra Ignace
    June 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hello Kelly
    I have never heard about the daily 5 before but have just spent the last 3-4 hours reading your blog and then going on to the 2 sisters site. I am very interested in learning more about this and wanted to know if there is a book shop that sells the Cafe book and Daily 5 book or do I have to purchase online? I am looking forward to reading more about it and how it would fit into a prep clasroom. Besides your school which sounds great, do you know of another school or schools who are implementing this? My school is in Cranbourne and it is a bit of a distance to get to the Geelong area. I would appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    Debra

• Miss Kelly Jordan
      June 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hi Debra,

Thanks for commenting, I’m glad you found my blog useful. I purchases the books online (The Book Depositry has free shipping worldwide) and everyone I know who has read the books has done the same.

Our school isn’t implementing CAFE and Daily 5 100% at this stage. Quite a few classes have started experimenting with it so teachers are at all different levels of implementation. It is becoming very popular in lots of schools, so I am sure you’d be able to find schools in Melbourne who are using the programs.

Good luck! :)
      Kelly

24. Rosemary Parke
    December 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hi Kelly
    I’m super keen to implement Daily Five next year and I’ve read the 2 books. Unfortunately, I’m scaling back to 2 days a week! I’ve had independent reading groups going in the past so that I could concentrate on a reciprocal reading group or two. We would come back together to share our tasks and to be accountable. This worked well so I’m confident I can make the leap to indivualised reading with some small group strategy work thrown in.
    I’m rapt to find Australian teachers keen on Daily Five.
    PS Has anyone tried the electronic pensieve?

25. January 21, 2013 at 2:26 am

Hello there, I am new to running a blog and websites in general and
    was wanting to know how you got the “www” included in your domain name?
    I see your domain name, “http://teachingliteracy.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/03/13/my-literacy-block-modifying-the-daily-5/”
    has the www and my web address looks like, “http://mydomain.com”.
    Do you know the best way I can change this?

I’m using WordPress. Warm regards

26. Ria
    April 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Hi Kelly,

I am a third year out teacher and have used the daily five last year in my classroom to help me create an independent and successful learning environment for the kids. I just loved it! And I loved how much time I had with my kids to work one-on-one or small group. I am interested though on how this works in your team teaching environment? This year I am team teaching Grade 1′s and both of us have found it difficult to establish an environment where focus groups are able to run effectively, keeping in mind we have 50 children. Any advice?? What works well for you and your partner?? Are you both doing the same things at the same time??

Thankyou!

Ria