Writing Activity – Describing Feelings

My grade two students are blogging buddies with Jonah Salsich’s third grade class in Connecticut, USA. One of the great things about connecting with schools from around the world is the sharing of ideas. I loved this writing idea that Jonah came up with and blogged about on his class blog, read it here. I decided to give it a go too!

Like Jonah, I am keen to get my students adding more details to their writing to make it more interesting. So with this activity, students had to choose a feeling and use adjectives and other details to describe the feeling. Most students chose “strong” feelings (such as angry or scared) as it was easier for them to come up with appropriate adjectives and phrases.

It was a great activity to get the students thinking about different words and phrases to help readers visualise what was happening in their stories. I had my students work in pairs, and it was wonderful to see them collaborating and communicating their ideas with each other.

Here’s what my students came up with..

Do you have any great writing activities to share?

What literacy ideas have you found by looking at other class blogs?

7 comments for “Writing Activity – Describing Feelings

1. November 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Kelly,

The students really enjoyed this activity and it was fantastic to use Jonah’s students as role models.

Just a couple of years ago, we would never have dreamed of getting teaching ideas off an American teacher and using online work samples from students on the other side of the world!

As we said to our students, who knows who is getting ideas from our students too!

Technology really is helping to make the world a smaller place and I can really see our students skills improving because of this!

Kathleen

• Kelly Jordan
      November 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm

@ Kathleen – Yes, who would have thought a couple of years ago that we’d be communicating so regularly with our global blogging buddies. It’s great!

Remember the days when we just used to get ideas from teachers next door to us? Blogging has opened up the doors to so many wonderful opportunities for students and teachers alike!

Thanks for the comment!

Kelly

2. November 22, 2010 at 1:12 am

Kelly,
    I’ll be sharing this blog and your student’s writing with our fourth grade teachers. Love the descriptive words used by your students. Let’s see now, this activity will be used by second, third, and fourth grade students. Hats off to Jonah Salsich and his third grade class. You and Kathleen are models for teacher around the world to emulate. If you begin another project like the Ugandan Global Project, I would love to have a class from our school involved. All the best to you and your students as you finish the school year.

• Kelly Jordan
      November 22, 2010 at 7:28 am

@ Rich – Thank you so much for your kind words! I really enjoy learning from other teachers so it’s nice to know that others can use my blog and ideas too.

Jonah certainly has some great ideas in all curriculum areas, and using his kids’ examples helped my students with this activity.

Will let you know of any projects in the future. Thanks for your support Rich, it’s much appreciated! 🙂

Kelly

3. Katrina Hamilton
    November 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi Kelly, I have just used your student’s wonderful stories to help my students to think deeper about reading and their writing. It was wonderful and we followed up with writing some stories of their own! They absolutely loved it!! thanks 🙂

• Kelly Jordan
      November 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm

@ Katrina – I’m so glad you were able to use my students’ work as an example for your kids. It helps so much for kids to be able to see what other students have done. It gives them ideas and something to work towards. My kids loved the imaginative element of the activity. We don’t get many opportunities for the students to show their creative writing flair with everything else on the curriculum!

Thanks for the comment!

Kelly