Persuasive Writing

Last week I focussed on persuasive writing (or expositions) with my Grade Two class. As it is the genre for the writing task in NAPLAN (which is national standardised testing we have in Australia)  next year, it is important that my students are familiar with the structure and expectations of this tricky genre.

Jenny Eather’s terrific website Writing Fun is a must when introducing genres to young students.

Writing Fun

After looking at online examples of persuasive texts for students, and explaining the structure for the genre, my students and I wrote a text together, using the handy online proforma on the Writing Fun website, as shown below. Using this on my interactive whiteboard was a great way to have all students involved and they could clearly see the processes involved in producing a persuasive text.

Persuasive text proforma

Our topic was “All classes in our school should have a class blog”. This is a highly relevant and interesting topic for my students, given that our class blog plays a big role in our room every day.

The following day I used the NAPLAN example from this year, to show the students what they should expect next year. The topic for this persuasive text was “Reading books is better than watching TV”.

NAPLAN writing example

After brainstorming ideas together, students independently wrote their persuasive text, using the structure of an introduction, 3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion.

Next week I plan to do a couple more lessons on persuasive writing to further develop my students’ skills. I’d love to hear what ideas other teachers have used in persuasive writing!

Please comment…

What topics have you used for persuasive writing texts in the past?

12 comments for “Persuasive Writing

1. Mel Cashen
    November 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Hi Kelly,

Like many teachers, I have also focussed on persuasive writing over the last couple of weeks! Like you I also used the Jenny Eather site and think it is fantastic. I also found this planner on the Read, write, think website :

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/persuasion_map/

I used it with my grade 4/5 students to help them plan not only an argument but supporting detail also. The kids loved it for helping them to make a clear plan.

I look forward to hearing others responses on the tools they use for teaching persuasive writing.

Thanks for another great post.
    Mel

• Kelly Jordan
      November 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm

@ Mel – Thanks for the comment! Yes, I imagine many classes are focussing on persuasive writing at the moment. I’m happy with how my kids went last week, so hopefully that shows in NAPLAN next year too!

Thanks for the Read Write Think site. I have used it for various reading activities in the past, but didn’t think to use it for writing too. I’ll have to try it out this week! :)

Thanks for stopping by,
      Kelly

2. November 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I have created a LiveBinder on persuasive texts for our staff. It is a work in progess but it may help. I have already included the two wonderful sites mentioned above.
    http://livebinders.com/edit?id=34426

There are some terrific resources available from TaLE. I have downloaded them into a folder on our staff drive so everyone can access them easily. Have fun :)

• Kelly Jordan
      November 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm

@ Audrey – Thanks for the comment! I checked out your LiveBinder, good work! I particularly liked the games section. I will use the games in some of my introductions this week.

Thanks for the TaLE tip too, I shall check it out! :)

Kelly

3. Kellie
    November 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hi Kelly,
    At our school we are also focusing on persuasive at the moment across the whole school.
    Our grade twos have had fun with the topics:
    Should we wear uniforms at school? – one grade did a mini debate for an assembly item and made the school vote on side that persuaded them the most (you can guess which side won!)
    Should the canteen sell Mc Donald’s? – our grade twos actually did really well on this one, most sided with no which was good to see.
    Should we have to wear hats outside? – again this was a good topic as the kids have to wear hats during sunsmart terms but getting them give the reasons as to why was great.

I have a whole heap of persuasive links on our whole school writing design space on the ultranet. If you want to have browse, look up CPPS Whole School Writing and i can accept you.
    Hope that helps you.

Kellie

• Kelly Jordan
      November 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm

@ Kellie – Thanks for stopping by! They are great ideas for persuasive writing topics. I will definitely have to use them. I am keen to choose relevant and interesting topics, that are also fairly easy to write about, and these will be perfect! :)

Thanks for the tip about your writing design space on the ultranet, I shall look it up!

Thanks again,
      Kelly.

• Kellie
        November 7, 2010 at 6:20 pm

so sorry, just realised it is a collaborative space not a design space.
        Glad to help

4. Bo Perry
    November 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Hi Kelly,
    just acome across your websites, love some of your ideas for persuasive writing. In my 1/2 class we have been looking at what would be positive/negative about being a prince or princess, and reading the text Princess Smarty pants by Babette Cole. the kids loved it. i have also just completed another piece of writing on the best pet in the world.

Chn seemed to be really enjoying it.

Thanks Bo Perry

5. heidi mccallum
    November 27, 2010 at 5:08 am

Hi
    I have a new cllass of 3 years old children and I amlooking for ideas on how to teach the letter C with linking the sound to familiar forms, carrot cat crayon etc but as most of my group are ESL id love some workable suggestions for a small activity for 10 children? Any ideas?
    Thanks

6. Nicole
    March 14, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Hello all,

Once again, I too have been focusing on PT and my class have really enjoyed their learning. I have published a few charts of mine onto ESLPrintables simply look up persuasive writing on the site to download the charts and bookmarks to help the kids individually. My children have really begun to flourish with their writing. We have done lots of work on powerful words and used a thesaurus to find stronger words than Like, should, think, etc. A fantastic activity I did last week was surprise the class with a box of easter eggs and they had to write me a letter persuading me to give them one. They had to follow a checklist and include all details of the PT type. The next day I bought in a toy for a girl and a boy and they had to do the same thing. I found this fantastic in encouraging my reluctant writers. I also am having them write a letter this Friday to their parents persuading them to take them to a special place of choice on the weekend.
    Hope some ideas are useful!

7. Maria Scott
    April 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Hi all,
    Thank you for all your work on this site it is fantastic. I am a high school teacher and know very little about literacy but have taken on a role in the school where I have to provide other teachers with literacy strategies to improve writing, spelling language and reading. This site has pointed me in the direction of some really fantastic resources. So thank you very much

8. Irene
    March 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hi all,
    I’m just a mom who chanced upon this and would like to say “Thanks!” for the topics, links and resources given above. They are great guides for me to help my daughter who’ll be sitting for the Year 3 Naplan this year. Once again, thank you for being such dedicated teachers.