Last week I focussed on persuasive writing (or expositions) with my Grade Two class. As it is the genre for the writing task in NAPLAN (which is national standardised testing we have in Australia)  next year, it is important that my students are familiar with the structure and expectations of this tricky genre.

Jenny Eather’s terrific website Writing Fun is a must when introducing genres to young students.

Writing Fun

After looking at online examples of persuasive texts for students, and explaining the structure for the genre, my students and I wrote a text together, using the handy online proforma on the Writing Fun website, as shown below. Using this on my interactive whiteboard was a great way to have all students involved and they could clearly see the processes involved in producing a persuasive text.

Persuasive text proforma

Our topic was “All classes in our school should have a class blog”. This is a highly relevant and interesting topic for my students, given that our class blog plays a big role in our room every day.

The following day I used the NAPLAN example from this year, to show the students what they should expect next year. The topic for this persuasive text was “Reading books is better than watching TV”.

NAPLAN writing example

After brainstorming ideas together, students independently wrote their persuasive text, using the structure of an introduction, 3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion.

Next week I plan to do a couple more lessons on persuasive writing to further develop my students’ skills. I’d love to hear what ideas other teachers have used in persuasive writing!

Please comment…

What topics have you used for persuasive writing texts in the past?