Teaching word families

There are many ways to teach different word families. One week during last termI focussed on “tion” words. I chose this word family as it often misspelled by students and I felt that my Grade Two class would benefit from a little revision of this tricky collection of words.

Technology is a big part of my daily program so I usually begin my lessons and introductions by finding a good website or tool on the IWB. I used this powerpoint demonstration to model how ‘tion’ words are spelled.

Students then completed this activity sheet which I made.

I concluded the lesson playing this fun Hangman game using ‘tion’ words.

Hangman

What strategies do you implement to help student learn different word families?

4 comments for “Teaching word families

1. September 25, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Great lesson description. “-tion” words are so common and so tricky for the students to remember when reading and spelling. Adrian Bruce (@adrianbruce) sent me this link on Twitter http://www.adrianbruce.com/reading/tictactoe/index.htm

It would be great to use next time!

2. Kelly Jordan
    September 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

@ Kathleen – Yes, they are tricky words for students to learn. Teaching word families can be somewhat dry at times so it’s great to use IWB sites to make things more interesting. That link from Adrian looks good, will have to remember it for the future!

3. September 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Hi Kelly,

I also like to deal with ‘tricky’ word families as they arise from children’s comments and conversations. One of my Yr 1 boys mentioned ‘vibration’ from a toy – and as he spelled it on the board, he thought that ‘tion’ would be spelled ‘shun’. A great discussion followed! In brainstorming other ‘tion’ words, the children came up with station, co-operation, lotion, exhibition, abbreviation – and magic potion from Zac Power and fairy books! My guess is that many children would enjoy the hangman game.
    Coral